Kids liked it, wasn't too spicy for them. I added extra sweet potato and cauliflower plus more beef broth. Served with french bread.
Curried Beef Stew
Photo: Karry Hosford
A green onion paste is sautéed to release its flavor in this Singapore-inspired dish. Serve with basmati rice.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 358
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 28.5g
- Carbohydrate: 34.6g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 556mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Thai chile sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (14 1/4-ounce) can low-salt beef broth
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups (1-inch-thick) sliced carrot
- 1 cup (1-inch-thick) sliced celery
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- To prepare paste, combine first 6 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Spoon into a bowl.
- To prepare stew, heat a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to low; add oil to pan. Add paste; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add curry, cinnamon, and bay leaf; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in beef, soy sauce, and broth. Increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Add sweet potato, carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in coconut milk. Discard cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note