WOWZA! This was tasty beyond belief! Served over cous cous with naan on the side. This has to be the BEST curry I ever made, hands down. I added beef broth instead of water and used a little more coconut milk and felt that improved the taste. Easy to set up for the slow cooker. Husband agreed it was drop-dead delicious. I definitely plan to make this one again!
Curried Beef Short Ribs
Add rich flavor to slow-cooker beef short ribs by simmering them with coconut milk, curry powder, fresh ginger, and red curry paste. Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 446
- Fat: 17.8g
- Saturated fat: 7.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 32.5g
- Carbohydrate: 36.6g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 89mg
- Iron: 4.8mg
- Sodium: 585mg
- Calcium: 26mg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add half of ribs to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place ribs in an electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining ribs.
- 2. Add shallots, garlic, and ginger to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water and curry paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, sugar, and fish sauce. Add coconut milk mixture to cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours.
- 3. Remove ribs from cooker; keep warm. Strain cooking liquid through a colander over a bowl; discard solids. Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour cooking liquid into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Stir in remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, rind, and juice. Shred rib meat with 2 forks; discard bones. Serve sauce over ribs and rice.
- Wine note: The intense flavor of Curried Beef Short Ribs will overwhelm most wines. Reach for a fruit-forward red like Planeta La Segreta Rosso 2007 ($15). This Sicilian blend has big flavors that can handle rich curry sauce, while the wine adds its own complementary peppery, Asian spice note. —Jeffery Lindenmuth
This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes
Food & Wine