- 2 medium acorn squash (about 3 pounds), halved
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 4 3/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
How to Make It
Place squash halves, cut side down, on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until tender. Scoop out pulp, discarding shells; set pulp aside.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add 4 cups chicken broth, apples, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, 25 to 30 minutes or until apples and potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly (about 5 to 10 minutes).
Process squash pulp, apple mixture, and remaining 3/4 cup chicken broth, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Return purée to Dutch oven. Stir in whipping cream and honey, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.