- 2 1/4 cups chopped peeled baking potato
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled carrot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/4 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 16 (18 x 14–inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- calories 200
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fat 4.9 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 2.7 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 6.2 g
- carbohydrate 33.5 g
- fiber 4.5 g
- cholesterol 2 mg
- iron 1.9 mg
- sodium 394 mg
- calcium 105 mg
How to Make It
To prepare samosas, cook potato and carrot in boiling water 8 minutes or until tender; drain.
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cumin and next 5 ingredients (through turmeric); cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Add potato mixture, peas, cilantro, and juice, stirring well to combine; cool slightly. Place half of filling in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Spoon chopped filling into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining filling.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board or work surface (cover remaining dough to prevent drying); lightly coat with cooking spray. Fold phyllo sheet in half lengthwise to form an 18 x 7–inch rectangle. Spoon about 3 tablespoons filling onto bottom end of rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold left bottom corner over mixture, forming a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to end of phyllo strip. Tuck edges under triangle; lightly coat seam with cooking spray. Place triangles, seam side down, 2 inches apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo, cooking spray, and filling to form 16 samosas.
Bake at 350° for 13 minutes with 1 baking sheet on bottom rack and 1 baking sheet on second rack from the top. Rotate baking sheets; bake an additional 12 minutes or until samosas are lightly browned.
To prepare raita, combine yogurt and mint. Serve with samosas.