Cumin-Scented Quinoa And Black Rice
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) Short Grain Black Rice
- 1 cup(s) Red Quinoa Rinsed Well
- 1 whole(s) Bay Leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 tablespoon(s) olive oil divided
- 1 whole(s) onion, small finely chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) cumin seed
- 3 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) chives chopped
- dash(es) black pepper
- 1 whole(s) avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 whole(s) lemon cut into wedges
- Bring rice and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine quinoa, bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return quinoa to hot saucepan. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf, fluff quinoa with a fork, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add to quinoa. Add rice; mix well. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons oil, fresh lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut avocado into wedges. Serve salad with avocado and lemon wedges.
- Ingredient info: Black rice and red quinoa are available at better supermarkets and at natural foods and specialty foods stores.
- nutritional information: Per serving: 238 calories, 13 g fat, 29 g carbohydrates
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MelisaTX and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note