- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped poblano chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- Lime wedges (optional)
- calories 301
- fat 8.9 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- protein 28.4 g
- carbohydrate 25.3 g
- cholesterol 51 mg
- iron 2.1 mg
- sodium 593 mg
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fiber 1.1 g
- calcium 58 mg
How to Make It
Rinse scallops, and pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
Bring water to a boil in a 1 1/2-quart saucepan over high heat; stir in turmeric and rice. Return to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, cumin, red pepper, and black pepper. Sprinkle cumin mixture over scallops; toss gently.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet, tilting pan to coat bottom. Add half of scallops; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove scallops from pan; keep warm. Scrape off any residue in pan with a wooden spoon. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and scallops.
Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, poblano pepper, cilantro, and tomato to cooked rice. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.