Cumin-Mint Raita Salad
This easy dish borrows from Indian raita, a cucumber and yogurt mixture designed to cut the heat of spicy foods. Here we added mixed vegetables such as onion and radishes for a refreshing take on chopped salad. Prep Time: about 20 minutes, plus 1 hour to chill.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 44
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 2.5g
- Fat: 1.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 6.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Cholesterol: 3.7mg
- 1 red onion (8 oz.), peeled and slivered
- 8 ounces radishes, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 English cucumber (1 lb.), rinsed
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mint leaves
- 1. Place slivered onion in a bowl. Add cold water to cover and let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, slice radishes. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds with a spoon, and thinly slice into crescents. Drain onion.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix yogurt, lemon juice, cumin seeds, salt, pepper, and all but 2 tablespoons of the mint. Add onion, radishes, and cucumber and mix gently to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- 3. Just before serving, stir salad again to combine. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons mint.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note