This is a recipe that my husband has asked to eat on a more regular basis because he enjoyed it so much. I am typically impartial to pot roast, but not after eating this flavorful recipe; I will definitely make this again! As others have suggested, we also thew it all in a crock pot, and it turned out beautifully. The only change to the recipe was that I added carrots to the vegetable mix.
Cumin-Crusted Pot Roast with Sweet Potatoes and Parsnips
Browning the pot roast before it braises maximizes the flavors in the dish by creating a caramelized crust on the meat.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces roast, about 1 cup vegetable mixture, and about 1/3 cup cooking liquid)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 324
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 28.8g
- Carbohydrate: 25.3g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 591mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 4 small onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) pieces green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Lightly coat roast with cooking spray; rub spice mixture over roast.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add roast to pan, and cook for 6 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onions to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic, and sauté for 1 minute. Add balsamic vinegar, beef broth, and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil. Return roast to pan; cover. Bake at 350° for 2 hours, turning roast after 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, parsnips, and bell pepper to pan; cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove roast from pan, and let stand for 15 minutes. Shred meat with 2 forks. Stir remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and parsley into vegetable mixture. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This