Cucumber-and-Charred Red Onion Relish
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Stylist: Buffy Hargett
Chop the veggies as finely or coarsely as you like; spoon over grilled meat.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 6 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped cucumbers
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 medium-size red onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
- 1. Toss together cucumbers and 3 tsp. salt; drain cucumber mixture in a colander 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Brush onions with olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. salt. Grill onions 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until charred and tender. Cool 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir together cucumbers, onions, garlic, and remaining ingredients. Let stand 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This