Cuban-Style Black Beans with Rice and Plantains
- * 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- * 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- * 2 firm, ripe plantains, peeled and cubed
- * 1 large yellow onion, diced
- * 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- * 1 vegetable bouillon cube, dissolved in 1 cup water
- * 2 15.25-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- * 1 tsp. ground cumin
- * Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- * 1/2 large red onion, chopped for garnish
- * 1/2 cup snipped cilantro leaves for garnish
- * 1 bunch thinly sliced scallions for garnish
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions, and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat, and cook cubed plantains 4 to 5 minutes, until just golden. Remove from heat.
- 3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat, and saut yellow onion and green pepper 7 to 10 minutes, or until onion turns golden. Add vegetable bouillon, beans, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook 5 minutes more, or until beans are heated through.
- 4. Spoon rice into large serving bowl or individual soup bowls, top with plantains and vegetables, and garnish with red onion, cilantro and scallions.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mario8723 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cuban-Style Black Beans with Rice and Plantains Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes