This 2006 Cook-Off Finalist recipe features a marinated, roasted pork roast filling and a creamy mayonnaise dipping sauce.
Southern Living OCTOBER 2006
1. Stir together first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, rinse au jus from pork roasts. Shred roasts using hands, and place in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag.
3. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat just until warm (about 3 to 5 minutes). Remove from heat, and whisk warm oil into orange juice mixture until well blended.
4. Pour 1 cup orange juice mixture evenly over shredded pork in bag. Seal and chill 30 minutes. Stir together mayonnaise and remaining orange juice mixture until well blended. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
5. Heat vegetable oil to 350° to 375° in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook tortillas, in batches, 3 to 5 seconds on each side or until softened and pliable. Drain well on paper towels. Remove skillet from heat, reserving vegetable oil in skillet.
6. Spread 1 heaping Tbsp. marinated pork roast mixture down center of 1 softened tortilla. Roll up tightly, and secure with a wooden pick. (If the tortilla cracks when rolling, unroll, remove filling, and cook again in hot oil a few more seconds.) Repeat with remaining tortillas.
7. Reheat vegetable oil in skillet to 350° to 375° over medium-high heat. Fry pork wraps, in batches, 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Remove wooden picks, and serve with mayonnaise mixture. Garnish, if desired.
Go to full version of