Delicious salad! Loved the fresh, crisp tastle of citrus and grilled tomatillos. Great way of using fresh arugula from the garden!
Cuban Bread Salad
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño chilies
- Salt and pepper
- 12 ounces tomatillos (2 in. wide)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces potato-garlic or French bread
- 12 cups (8 oz.) rinsed and crisped baby arugula
- Wedge of Manchego cheese
- 1. In a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over high heat, boil orange juice until reduced to 1/4 cup, 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool. Add shallots, lime juice, lemon juice, and cumin. Whisk in salad oil. Add chilies, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Remove and discard husks from tomatillos; rinse and cut into quarters. In a bowl, mix tomatillos with olive oil. Cut bread into 1-inch-thick slices. Set tomatillo quarters and bread slices on a grill over a solid bed of hot coals or a gas grill on high heat and turn as needed until browned on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes total for bread, 5 to 7 minutes for tomatillos. Let cool, Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix tomatillos, bread, arugula, and dressing. With a vegetable peeler, shave about 1/2 cup (2 oz.) thin slices off Manchego cheese. Mix cheese and salt and pepper to taste into salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note