Cuban Black Bean soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pork steak
- 1 pound(s) dry black beans
- 8 cup(s) water (may use broth)
- 4 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 pasilla peppers, seeded chopped fine
- 1 cup(s) onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 cup(s) celerty minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon(s) oregano finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon(s) Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoon(s) lime juice
- sour cream
- Cut pork in 1 to 2 inch cubes. Brown in oil (hot sausage grease is good for this). Add pork to soaked beans and bay leaves, cover with broth/water. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Mix minced garlic with dry spices.
- Saute the onion, pepper, and celery until onion is translucent. Add 2/3 cup of the hot bean liquid, lime juice and Tabasco. Add dry spice mixture. (Having done this, I'd add liquid to spices and whisk until smooth, then add that to pot, so spices don't clump.) Cook spice mixture with vegetables for 5 minutes, until well mixed. Then add vegetables to bean pot. Simmer another hour.
- Remove bay leaves. Puree 2c of cooked beans and return to pot. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro (and leftover chopped pepper or scallions, too).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by TSandM and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note