Cryin' Cactus Salad
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 149
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 4.1g
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Sodium: 1355mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 4 quarts romaine lettuce pieces
- 1 jar (15 oz.) nopalitos, rinsed until no longer slippery, and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) yellow hominy, drained
- 1 jar (7 oz.) roasted red peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 tomatillos (1/2 lb. total), husked and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chipotle chili hot sauce
- Fruit-base habanero or Scotch bonnet chili hot sauce such as papaya (up to 1/3 cup, optional)
- 1/2 pound chorizo (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Place romaine lettuce in a large, shallow bowl. Arrange nopalitos, hominy, red peppers, and tomatillos on top. Set aside.
- 2. In a blender, whirl orange juice, reduced-fat mayonnaise, and chipotle and habanero hot sauces until smooth. Set aside.
- 3. Squeeze chorizo from casings into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat; discard casings. Break into chunks with a spoon and stir often until brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. Scatter chorizo over salad. Stir cilantro into chili dressing. At the table, add dressing to salad and mix to coat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This