Crusty Whole Wheat Italian Bread
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1.25 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1.5 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1.5 cup(s) bread flour
- 1.5 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 package(s) Active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornmeal for dusting baking sheet
- Wet ingredients, dry ingredients, yeast.
- ----Shaping and Baking----.
- Lightly oil or grease a 14x17" baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal; set aside.
- Punch down the dough.
- Divide in half and, on a lightly floured surface, shape into long loaves, rolling each piece first into a 5x12" rectangle, then rolling each up along the long side to make a long, narrow loaf.
- Pinch edges to seal, and taper ends.
- Place loaves, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Make 4-5 slashes across each loaf with sharp knife or razor blade.
- Brush each loaf with water and sprinkle with whole wheat flour.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, until loaves are browned and crisp.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- NOTE: I also use a spray bottle filled with water and spray the loaves and oven walls once or twice at 5-minute intervals at the beginning of baking.
- You could also make this into one large oblong loaf or a round loaf, but baking time would need to be increased.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MegCass and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crusty Whole Wheat Italian Bread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads