Crusty Whole-Grain Flaxseed Rolls
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 136
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 24.3g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 274mg
- Calcium: 36mg
- 1/3 cup flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 cup warm 2% reduced-fat milk (100° to 110°)
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- Place 1/3 cup flaxseed in a blender or clean coffee grinder, and process until ground to measure 1/2 cup flaxseed meal; set aside.
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water and warm milk in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flaxseed meal, whole-wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, salt, and oil to yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If the indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 18 equal portions, shaping each portion into a ball (cover remaining dough while working to prevent it from drying). Place balls 2 inches apart on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until dough is doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Uncover rolls; cut a 1/4-inch-deep "X" in top of each roll. Combine 1 tablespoon water and egg white, and brush over rolls. Sprinkle rolls with 2 tablespoons flaxseed. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until rolls are browned on the bottom and sound hollow when tapped. Remove rolls from pan.
- Note: These rolls freeze well. To freeze, cool rolls completely and store in a zip-top freezer bag. When ready to use, remove rolls from bag and thaw completely. Preheat oven to 350º. Place rolls on a baking sheet; cover with foil, and bake until heated, about 8 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crusty Whole-Grain Flaxseed Rolls Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This