Crusty Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package large elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs (homemade; see Note below)
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Cook macaroni just until tender according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add cheese and next 3 ingredients; stir until cheese melts. Stir in macaroni.
- Spoon macaroni and cheese into a greased 13" x 9" baking dish or other large baking dish. (Dish will be very full.) Toss breadcrumbs with 6 tablespoons melted butter until crumbs are well coated. Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and top is golden.
- Note: Make fresh breadcrumbs easily by tearing a few pieces from a French baguette. Pulse bread in a food processor or mini chopper until you get coarse crumbs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles