I should first say that I doubled this and that could have been my mistake - but that aside, I THINK I evenly distributed the honey mix and separated the two batches and it was NOT crispy. Flavor is good, but not fabulous. Had intention of making this and packaging as a gift, but now embarrassed to give out soft granola. Thinking of pouring a mix of melted white chocolate/condensed milk over the top and refrigerating for a bark type gift. Don't want to waste and you can't go wrong with chocolate.
Crunchy Spice Granola
I've searched a long time for a tasty granola without added fat. After years of experimenting, I came up with my own. One batch should last awhile in an airtight container.
Yield: 8 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 43
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 8.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 8mg
- Calcium: 6mg
- 3 cups regular oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (6-ounce) jar pear baby food
- 1 cup wheat bran flakes cereal with raisins
- 1 cup crisp cross of corn and rice cereal
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread first three ingredients on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250°.
- Combine honey and next 5 ingredients (honey through baby food) in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute.
- Combine oat mixture, honey mixture, bran flakes, and next 5 ingredients (bran flakes through dates); stir well. Spread mixture on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container.
- Note: Sprinkle over yogurt, fresh fruit slices, or frozen yogurt as a quick topping.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crunchy Spice Granola Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch