I was a little let down with this recipe. I followed it exactly and I found that it lacked the pop of flavor that I expected. Perhaps it is because I used fresh squeezed orange juice instead of the store bought kind so it lacked the sugary acidic taste of the stuff in a carton. As well since I didn't have panko I used breadcrumbs, so the shrimp were not as crunchy as they should be. I didn't like the creamy texture the mayo gave the sauce, mainly because I don't like cream sauce. The couscous came out a little soggy as well, but I put it on the burner to cook out sme of the extra liquid. It wasn't horrible but I wouldn't make it again.
Crunchy Shrimp with Toasted Couscous and Ginger-Orange Sauce
Grand Prize Winner/Category Winner--Entrées. "The sauce that accompanies the shrimp is one of my favorites. I've used it as a dipping sauce for vegetables, and to top grilled chicken and salmon." -Karen Tedesco, Webster Groves, MO
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 10.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 17.6g
- Carbohydrate: 51.9g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 763mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 20 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
- To prepare sauce, bring 1 cup orange juice to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; cool completely. Stir in 1 tablespoon cilantro and next 7 ingredients (through red pepper); set aside.
- To prepare couscous, place couscous in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; cook 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cup orange juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; add onions, almonds, and butter, stirring until butter melts. Keep warm.
- To prepare shrimp, combine shrimp and egg white in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Combine the panko, 1 teaspoon cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and black pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add shrimp to the bag, and seal and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; arrange shrimp in a single layer in pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place 3/4 cup couscous on each of 4 plates; top each with 1/2 cup watercress and 5 shrimp. Drizzle each with 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note