- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 pieces skinless, boneless center-cut salmon fillets (each 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices toasted caraway rye bread or 8 toasted baguette pieces (about 6 inches long and halved lengthwise)
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 4 thin slices red onion, rinsed and dried
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
Cut each salmon fillet in half horizontally. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon, and sear 2 minutes or until crisp and brown. Turn salmon, and cook 30 to 40 seconds or until opaque in center.
Top each of 4 slices of bread halves with a lettuce leaf, piece of salmon, and onion slice. Spread horseradish-dill mayonnaise generously on remaining slices of bread, and set on top of onion.
Note: If packing the sandwiches to go, spread mayo mixture on bread just before serving.