Sunset MARCH 2000
1. In a bowl, beat egg whites and oil to blend. In another bowl, mix crumbs, basil, and 2 teaspoons garlic.
2. Add 1 kind of vegetable at a time to the egg mixture—eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, and 1 1/2 cups tomatoes. Lift out with a slotted spoon, draining briefly, and add to crumbs. Mix gently to coat, the lift out. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a 14-inch by 17-inch baking sheet.
3. Bake in a 450° oven until vegetables are well-browned and eggplant is soft when pressed, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, purée until smooth the remaining 1 teaspoon garllic, remaining 1/2 cup tomatoes, mayonnaise, and lemon juice to taste.
5. Spoon vegetables onto warm dinner plates and season to taste with mayonnaise mixture and salt and pepper.
Go to full version of