Crunchy Ice Cream-Cookie Sandwiches
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 202mg
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- About 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded dried coconut or sliced almonds
- 1 quart strawberry or peach ice cream
- 1. Lightly butter a 10- by 15-inch rimmed baking pan. Line pan with a 15- by 20-inch piece of cooking parchment, spreading it smooth (edges will stick up above pan rim). Butter and flour parchment.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt 1/3 cup butter, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt; stir until smooth. Add oats and coconut; mix until evenly blended. Scatter oat mixture in lined pan; with a long metal spatula, spread mixture level.
- 3. Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until cookie is browned at edges and bubbling all over, about 10 minutes. Let cool just until cookie begins to firm but is still warm, about 2 minutes (if too cool, cookies will crack when cut). Invert a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet over pan; holding pan and sheet together, carefully invert cookie onto sheet. Cut into 18 rectangles 2 1/2 by 3 1/3 inches. Let cool.
- 4. Return 9 of the cookies, smooth side up, to lined pan, setting them side by side in a single layer to make a snug rectangle in half the pan.
- 5. With scissors, snip through opposite sides of ice cream carton from top to bottom; peel carton from ice cream and discard. Working quickly, place ice cream on a board (if round, trim off 1 side and lay on flat side). With a long, heavy knife, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Set slices side by side over cookies in pan; fill in any bare spots with ice cream scraps to cover completely, and trim off any excess. Freeze remaining ice cream for other uses. Cover ice cream with remaining 9 cookies, matching the orientation of bottom cookies. Wrap pan airtight and freeze until ice cream is firm, at least 3 hours.
- 6. Lift ice cream sandwiches on parchment from pan and transfer to a board. Cut between cookies; trim sandwich edges with a knife, if desired. Serve, or wrap sandwiches individually airtight and freeze up to 2 weeks.
- Nutritioal analysis per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crunchy Ice Cream-Cookie Sandwiches Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts