Crunchy Fried Green Tomatoes
A coating of matzo meal, which is made from unleavened flour and water, gives this classic dish extra crunch. Look for matzo in the kosher section.
More From Southern Living
Fry: 8 Minutes
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 4 to 5 large green tomatoes (about 2 lb.), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Kosher salt (optional)
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish.
- 2. Dip tomatoes into eggs, allowing excess to drip off. Dredge in matzo mixture, pressing it into the surfaces. Place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- 3. Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a large, deep cast-iron or heavy skillet; heat over medium heat to 360°. Fry tomatoes, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note