- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 pita breads, split
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- calories 467
- fat 15 g
- satfat 2 g
- protein 17 g
- carbohydrate 68 g
- fiber 10 g
- cholesterol 40 mg
- sodium 899 mg
How to Make It
Combine yogurt and garlic in a bowl and season with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
In a food processor, combine chickpeas, 1/2 cup flour, cumin, egg and 1/2 tsp. salt and process until almost smooth. Add onion and pulse just to combine. Place remaining 2 Tbsp. flour on a plate. Form chickpea mixture into 12 1/2-inch-thick patties. Dredge each patty in flour.
Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook until golden, turning once, about 8 minutes total (work in batches if skillet won't fit all patties). Slide patties into pitas, add tomatoes and lettuce, top with reserved yogurt sauce and serve.