Don't add a full tablespoon of salt, too salty.
Crunchy Cucumber Salad
Notes: If toasted sesame seeds aren't available, stir raw ones in a frying pan over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes.
This recipe goes with Soy-Roasted Salmon with Cucumbers
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 53
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 1.8g
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 7.7g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 247mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 pounds English cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 cup thinly slivered red onion
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see notes)
- 1. Peel cucumbers, if desired. Cut in half lengthwise, and with a spoon, scoop out and discard seeds. Cut cucumbers diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- 2. Put cucumbers in a colander set over a large bowl and mix with salt. Place a weight over cucumbers (a 1-gal. zip-lock plastic bag filled with water works well). Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. Discard liquid.
- 3. In a bowl, whisk vinegar, lime juice, sugar, sesame oil, and chili flakes until well blended. Mix in drained cucumbers and the slivered onion. Sprinkle salad with the toasted sesame seeds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads