- 2 pounds English cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 cup thinly slivered red onion
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see notes)
- calories 53
- caloriesfromfat 38 %
- protein 1.8 g
- fat 2.2 g
- satfat 0.3 g
- carbohydrate 7.7 g
- fiber 1.8 g
- sodium 247 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Peel cucumbers, if desired. Cut in half lengthwise, and with a spoon, scoop out and discard seeds. Cut cucumbers diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Put cucumbers in a colander set over a large bowl and mix with salt. Place a weight over cucumbers (a 1-gal. zip-lock plastic bag filled with water works well). Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. Discard liquid.
In a bowl, whisk vinegar, lime juice, sugar, sesame oil, and chili flakes until well blended. Mix in drained cucumbers and the slivered onion. Sprinkle salad with the toasted sesame seeds.