Crunchy Carrot-Beet Salad
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium-size peeled beets
- 2 large carrots
- 1 (5-oz.) package fresh arugula
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan 7 to 9 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil and next 4 ingredients; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Cut beets and carrots into thin slices, using a mandoline or sharp knife. To prevent hands from being stained, hold beets with a paper towel or wear rubber gloves while slicing. Toss arugula with a small amount of vinaigrette. Arrange arugula on a serving platter. Toss beets, carrots, and parsley with desired amount of vinaigrette. Top arugula with beet mixture; sprinkle with walnuts and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with any remaining vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads