- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 7 medium-size cooking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 unbaked (9-inch) pastry shell
- Grated sharp Cheddar cheese (optional)
How to Make It
Combine 1/2 cup flour and 1/3 cup sugar in a small mixing bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
Combine 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, spices, orange rind, and juice in a large mixing bowl. Add apples, tossing lightly to coat evenly.
Spoon apple mixture into pastry shell. Sprinkle reserved flour mixture evenly over apples. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°, and bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes. Cool before slicing. Serve pie with cheese, if desired.