More From Southern Living
Cool: 30 Minutes
- 1/2 large onion, cut in half
- 1/2 medium carrot, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons jarred ham base
- 2 cups fresh or frozen crowder peas
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in ham base and 4 cups of water until well blended. Add peas, thyme, salt, and pepper, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until peas are done. Remove from heat; cool 30 minutes.
- 2. Drain peas, reserving cooking liquid for another use. Remove and discard onion, carrots, celery, and thyme sprigs.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon ham base.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note