More From Southern Living
Cool: 30 Minutes
- 1/2 large onion, cut in half
- 1/2 medium carrot, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons jarred ham base
- 2 cups fresh or frozen crowder peas
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in ham base and 4 cups of water until well blended. Add peas, thyme, salt, and pepper, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until peas are done. Remove from heat; cool 30 minutes.
- 2. Drain peas, reserving cooking liquid for another use. Remove and discard onion, carrots, celery, and thyme sprigs.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon ham base.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables