- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 large green bell pepper (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 large red bell pepper (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 36 (3/4-inch) slices French bread (about 1 pound), toasted
- calories 56
- caloriesfromfat 19 %
- fat 1.2 g
- satfat 0.2 g
- monofat 0.5 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 1.9 g
- carbohydrate 9.9 g
- fiber 0.6 g
- cholesterol 1 mg
- iron 0.6 mg
- sodium 121 mg
- calcium 13 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 500°.
Pierce eggplant several times with a fork; place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 500° for 20 minutes or until tender. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Place in a colander; let stand 15 minutes. Peel eggplant. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes; place in a medium bowl.
Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place halves, skin sides up, on foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel; cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Add bell peppers and pine nuts to eggplant in bowl; toss well.
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add red pepper and garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add vinegar, capers, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil; cook 30 seconds. Pour over eggplant mixture; toss. Marinate at room temperature for 2 hours.
Spoon 1 tablespoon eggplant mixture onto each bread slice. Serve immediately.