Crosshatch Hot Dogs on Grilled Croissants
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 6 cups finely shredded green cabbage, from 1/2 small head
- 3 fresh red chiles such as Fresno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 croissants, split but still attached on one side
- 4 large hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- In a large bowl, stir the honey with the sherry vinegar until the honey is dissolved. Add the shredded cabbage and red chiles, season with salt and toss. Let stand until the cabbage is slightly softened, tossing a few times, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend the butter and the mustard. Gently spread the cut sides of the croissants with the butter.
- Light a grill. Thread each hot dog lengthwise onto a thick metal or wooden skewer. With a small, sharp knife, make cuts at an angle in 3 rows down each hot dog, about 1/2 inch apart, cutting partway into the hot dog. The cuts should look like rounded half circles. Lightly run the knife down the center of the cuts to halve the half circles.
- On a large plate, mix the ketchup with the soy sauce, oil and garlic. Turn to coat each hot dog with the mixture.
- Grill the croissants over high heat, cut side down, until toasted, about 30 seconds. Turn and grill the other side for about 10 seconds. Grill the hot dogs over high heat all over, until nicely charred and the cuts open up, about 2 minutes total; the hot dogs should resemble pine cones. Mound the cabbage salad on one half of each croissant, set the hot dogs on top and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes