Community Recipe from
- 1 1/4 cup(s) Whole milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) Unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon(s) Flour
- 3 tablespoon(s) Fresh thyme leaves, divided
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 Long loaf rustic bread, such as ciabatta
- 3 tablespoon(s) dijon mustard
- 3/4 pound(s) Ham
- 4 cup(s) Grated gruyere cheese (about 8 oz)
- 1 cup(s) Finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in bottom third. Hear milk in a saucepan over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Melt butter in another saucepan over medium heat; add flour, whisk to combine and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 1/2 T thyme, then gradually whisk in milk. Simmer bechamel 2 minutes, whisking. Remove from heat, and add 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2. Cut top crust off bread; slice loaf in half horizontally. Fill sandwich with mustard, ham and half the gruyere. Toast on a baking sheet until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.
- 3. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler. Spread bechamel on top, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil until golden brown and bubbling, 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven; garnish with pepper and remaining thyme. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dmradcliffe and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Croque-Monsieur Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes