More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 496
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 1201mg
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk or whipping cream
- 6 ounces gruyère, Swiss, or fontina cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- About 1/16 teaspoon fresh-grated or ground nutmeg
- 8 slices firm white bread (each about 4 in. square and 1/2 in. thick)
- 1/4 pound very thinly sliced cooked ham (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir shallots in 1 tablespoon butter. Stir often until golden, about 3 minutes. Add flour; stir until blended. Remove from heat and add broth and milk; whisk to blend well. Return to heat and whisk until mixture is boiling vigorously. Remove from heat and add cheese and nutmeg; stir until cheese is melted. Pour sauce into a bowl. Rinse and dry pan.
- 2. Lightly butter one side of each bread slice and lay buttered sides down on a board. Divide half the cheese sauce equally among 4 slices; spread sauce to edges. Lay ham equally over sauce. Spread mustard equally on unbuttered sides of remaining 4 bread slices; invert each onto a slice topped with ham.
- 3. Put frying pan on medium heat. Lay two sandwiches in pan; cover and cook until well browned on the bottom. Turn with a spatula and brown other sides, about 4 minutes total. Transfer sandwiches to a 10- by 15-inch pan and keep warm, uncovered, in a 200° oven. Repeat to cook remaining sandwiches. Spoon remaining cheese sauce equally over sandwiches; spread slightly over edges.
- 4. Broil sandwiches about 4 inches from heat until sauce is bubbling and lightly browned, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Nutritional analysis per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches