Outstanding is right! My husband said it was better than one he had at a restaurant recently. Thankful I forgo any negative reviews and tried it. Made it precisely as written and it was FANTASTIC!
Crook's Corner Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and Grits is a Crook's Corner classic. The late Bill Neal has influenced young chefs across the South, and diners still enjoy his inspired recipes at this landmark restaurant in Chapel Hill. Executive chef Bill Smith has added some creative touches to the menu, such as Warm Goat Cheese Salad With Roasted Beets and Pumpkin Seeds and Hangar Steak With Bourbon Brown Sauce, but this shrimp and grits dish is still a mainstay.
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular grits
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Lemon wedges
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Add Cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients. Keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in flour.
- Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings in skillet 5 minutes or until tender. Add green onions, and sauté 2 minutes. Add shrimp and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly brown. Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet.
- Serve shrimp mixture over hot cheese grits. Top with crumbled bacon; serve with lemon wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note