Crockpot Chicken Marsala
From Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 ounce(s) porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup(s) flour
- 8 boneless chicken breast halves skin on
- 3 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 10 clove(s) garlic
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup(s) dry Marsala
- 4 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 2/3 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 6 tablespoon(s) heavy cream
- (Look for dried porcini mushrooms in a little cellophane packets in the produce or deli section of the supermarket.)
- Place the mushrooms in a heatproof cup or small bowl. Add boiling water to cover and let soak while you proceed with the recipe.
- Place the flour on a shallow plate or a pie plate. One piece at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour, coating both sides and shaking off any excess.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it foams, add as many pieces of the chicken, skin side down, as will fit in a single layer without crowding, and cook until deep golden brown on both sides, 6-7 minutes per side. When you turn the first batch of chicken over, add 5 cloves of garlic; brown the garlic but do not let it burn. Transfer the browned chicken and garlic to the slow cooker and repeat with the remaining chicken and garlic. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Add the Marsala to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan. Pour the liquid over the chicken. Pour the mushrooms from their soaking liquid and distribute them over the meat. Strain the mushroom liquid and add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and garlic (if you wish to serve the garlic) to a shallow baking dish. Place in the oven to keep warm while you finish the sauce.
- In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch into the milk to make a smooth slurry. Pour the sauce from the cooker into a small saucepan. Stir in the cream and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the slurry and cook at a boil, stirring, until it thickens, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the warm chicken with the sauce poured on top or on the side.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ad5colorado and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crockpot Chicken Marsala Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes