1. Brown bacon and remove to paper towels; reserve cooked bacon for topping finished cassoulet, leave fat in pan
2. Pat dry the pork cubes and brown in batches, removing to large bowl as they're browned
3. Reduce heat, add onions to the pan, stir til soft & golden brown.
4. Add wine and simmer til reduced by half
5. Add beans, tomatoes, garlic and bring to high simmer
1. Layer of hot bean mixture in bottom of crockpot
2. Nestle portion of pork, carrots, sausage, sprig of thyme onto beans
3. Repeat, remembering to include a bay leaf and duck leg in two of the layers
4. Add stock to cover by 2"
Cook on high 5 hours or low 7 hours -- check earlier in case the cassoulet is done sooner
It's ready out of the crockpot /or/ you can transfer to an oven casserole and bake at 400 to crust/dry. Top with bacon, serve with bread and red wine.
(What we do here is more complicated that the minimalist version -- Bittman foregoes the stovetop prep, puts everything into a crockpot, adds stock or water to cover by c. 2" and then cooks, finishing in the oven topped with breadcrumbs.)
Go to full version of