Community Recipe from
- 1/2 pound(s) small white beans, washed, rinsed, soaked overnight, drained
- 1/4 pound(s) unsmoked bacon, chopped
- 1 pound(s) boneless pork shoulder, trimmed, chunked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup(s) white wine
- 2 cup(s) canned tomatoes with juice, peeled, diced
- 8 clove(s) garlic, peeled, crushed
- 4 sprig(s) thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots, peeled, chunked
- 3/4 pound(s) unsmoked sausages, casing removed
- 2 duck legs
- chicken stock, as needed
- 1. Brown bacon and remove to paper towels; reserve cooked bacon for topping finished cassoulet, leave fat in pan
- 2. Pat dry the pork cubes and brown in batches, removing to large bowl as they're browned
- 3. Reduce heat, add onions to the pan, stir til soft & golden brown.
- 4. Add wine and simmer til reduced by half
- 5. Add beans, tomatoes, garlic and bring to high simmer
- 1. Layer of hot bean mixture in bottom of crockpot
- 2. Nestle portion of pork, carrots, sausage, sprig of thyme onto beans
- 3. Repeat, remembering to include a bay leaf and duck leg in two of the layers
- 4. Add stock to cover by 2"
- Cook on high 5 hours or low 7 hours -- check earlier in case the cassoulet is done sooner
- It's ready out of the crockpot /or/ you can transfer to an oven casserole and bake at 400 to crust/dry. Top with bacon, serve with bread and red wine.
- (What we do here is more complicated that the minimalist version -- Bittman foregoes the stovetop prep, puts everything into a crockpot, adds stock or water to cover by c. 2" and then cooks, finishing in the oven topped with breadcrumbs.)
This recipe is a personal recipe added by carolfitz and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note