Super easy to make and very tasty!
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Fonda Shaia
You can substitute 2 tablespoons vanilla extract for the bean, but the flavor will suffer. You can find vanilla beans in your supermarket's spice section.
Yield: 1 3/4 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 97
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 12.6g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 127mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 35mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 1 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (3-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- Pour milk into a medium saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add seeds and bean to milk. Cook over medium heat 6 minutes (do not boil); discard bean. Remove from heat.
- Combine sugar and yolks in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Gradually add milk mixture to bowl, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return mixture to pan. Cook over medium heat 6 minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk. Immediately pour mixture into a bowl. Cover and chill (mixture will thicken as it cools).
- Note: Crème Anglaise can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note