Crispy Tofu Pad Thai
Tofu is a plant-based protein made from soybeans that takes on the flavors of the ingredients cooked with it.
Yield: 4 adult servings (serving size: 1 cup noodles, 1/2 cup tofu, and 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 419
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Carbohydrate: 57.5g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 845mg
- Calcium: 374mg
- 1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat, firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 ounces flat uncooked rice noodles
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 4 lime wedges
- 1. Cut tofu crosswise into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Arrange tofu on several layers of paper towels. Top with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towels. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes, and toss with cornstarch.
- 2. Prepare noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well; set aside.
- 3. Combine ketchup and next 3 ingredients. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until golden. Remove tofu from pan.
- 4. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in pan. Add eggs and egg white; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from pan. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan. Add noodles; cook 3 minutes. Stir in ketchup mixture; cook 30 seconds. Add egg mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in onions and cilantro. Top noodles with tofu; sprinkle with peanuts and serve with lime wedges.
- for your toddler: Omit the Sriracha and green onions; adults can add them to their servings later, if desired. Serve a spoonful of noodles tossed with the sauce and 3 to 5 tofu cubes in a small bowl. Cut the noodles into bite-sized pieces.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note