Crispy Smoked Quail Salad
- Hickory chunks
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 8 quail, breasts deboned
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Vegetable oil
- 8 cups gourmet salad greens
- Bourbon Dressing
- 2 ripe pears, thinly sliced
- Pickled Red Onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery hearts
- Spiced Pecans
- Soak wood chunks in water 1 hour.
- Combine peanut oil and next 3 ingredients in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; add quail. Seal and chill 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Remove quail from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Prepare charcoal fire in smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain wood chunks and place on coals. Place water pan in smoker; add water to depth of fill line.
- Place quail on lower food rack; cover with smoker lid. Smoke 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl just until blended.
- Pour vegetable oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat oil to 375°.
- Hold quails by legs, and dip into batter, coating thoroughly. Fry quail in batches in hot oil 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Toss greens with 1/4 cup Bourbon Dressing; place on individual serving plates. Top each with a quail; divide pear slices and remaining ingredients evenly among salads. Serve with remaining dressing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crispy Smoked Quail Salad Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes, Salads
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Native American, New American, Asian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Game, Vegetables
- COOKING METHOD: Grill
- OCCASION: Autumn, Chinese New Year, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Coastal Living