Crispy Pork Spring Rolls
Serve with spicy Sriracha sauce or sweet red chili sauce. You can assemble spring rolls and freeze them until you're ready to cook and serve.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 45 Minutes
- Calories: 108
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10.5g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 98mg
- Calcium: 10mg
- 5 cups peanut oil
- 1 ounce bean thread noodles
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk peeled fresh lemongrass, coarsely chopped
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (such as Huy Fong chile paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrot (about 3 medium)
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 26 frozen square spring roll pastry wrappers, thawed
- 1. Place peanut oil in a large Dutch oven or deep fryer. Clip a candy/frying thermometer to the side of pot; heat oil to 385°.
- 2. Place noodles in a bowl, and pour enough boiling water over to cover by 1 inch. Let stand 20 minutes; drain well. Cut noodles with scissors into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- 3. Combine shallots, garlic, and lemongrass in a food processor, and process until finely chopped. Add mushrooms; pulse until finely chopped. Add sesame oil and next 4 ingredients (through ginger); process until well combined. Combine noodles, mushroom mixture, carrot, and pork in a large bowl, stirring until well blended.
- 4. Working with 1 spring roll pastry at a time (cover the remaining wrappers with a damp towel so they don't dry out), place the wrapper on a smooth work surface in a diamond pattern, with a corner edge pointing up and another pointing down. Place about 2 tablespoons pork mixture in the middle of pastry. Brush top point of pastry with water. Fold sides of pastry over filling; roll up jelly-roll fashion, starting from bottom. Gently press seam to seal. Repeat procedure with remaining pastry and filling to form 26 rolls.
- 5. Working in batches, place 5 spring rolls in 385° oil; fry 7 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning as necessary. Make sure oil temperature does not drop below 375°. Remove rolls with a slotted spoon; drain on a rack over paper towels. Return oil to 385°. Repeat the procedure with remaining spring rolls and oil, making sure oil temperature does not drop below 375°. Serve immediately.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note