These are amazing! Don't be daunted by the complexity of it - quite simply THE best thing I've ever eaten. The thin sheets of crispy phyllo reminded me of (gourmet) fried dough from a country fair, sprinkled with powdered sugar and the essence of almonds. The blue cheese, fruit compote, and caramel syrup all blended together into a sublime dessert. Try this recipe!
Crispy Phyllo Napoleons with Berkshire Blue Cheese, Nectarines, and Pears
This reader fuses tradition and fresh ideas in this inspired update of the classic French pastry dessert.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 50.3g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 400mg
- Calcium: 161mg
- 2 1/2 cups diced nectarine or apricot
- 2 cups diced Bartlett or Anjou pear
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 (4-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Phyllo Napoleons:
- 3 large sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredients:
- 6 ounces Berkshire blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fat-free caramel sundae syrup
- To prepare compote, combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Cool completely. Discard cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare phyllo Napoleons, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 1 phyllo sheet on parchment paper, and lightly brush with butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons hazelnuts. Repeat layers twice.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the phyllo into 24 (3 x 2 1/2-inch) rectangles. Cover phyllo with parchment paper. Coat bottom of another baking sheet with cooking spray; place, coated side down, on top of phyllo.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until golden. Carefully remove top baking sheet and parchment paper; cool phyllo rectangles on bottom baking sheet on a wire rack.
- Place 1 phyllo rectangle on each of 8 dessert plates. Top each rectangle with 1 1/2 tablespoons compote and about 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese. Repeat layers with remaining phyllo rectangles, compote, and cheese, ending with phyllo rectangles. Drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon caramel syrup. Serve immediately.
- Note: Use a pizza cutter to slice through the sheets of phyllo dough without ripping and tearing. Covering the rectangles, compote, and cheese, ending with phyllo rectangles. Drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon caramel syrup. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crispy Phyllo Napoleons with Berkshire Blue Cheese, Nectarines, and Pears Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts