These are amazing! Don't be daunted by the complexity of it - quite simply THE best thing I've ever eaten. The thin sheets of crispy phyllo reminded me of (gourmet) fried dough from a country fair, sprinkled with powdered sugar and the essence of almonds. The blue cheese, fruit compote, and caramel syrup all blended together into a sublime dessert. Try this recipe!
Crispy Phyllo Napoleons with Berkshire Blue Cheese, Nectarines, and Pears
Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
This reader fuses tradition and fresh ideas in this inspired update of the classic French pastry dessert.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 50.3g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 400mg
- Calcium: 161mg
- 2 1/2 cups diced nectarine or apricot
- 2 cups diced Bartlett or Anjou pear
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 (4-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Phyllo Napoleons:
- 3 large sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredients:
- 6 ounces Berkshire blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fat-free caramel sundae syrup
- To prepare compote, combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Cool completely. Discard cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare phyllo Napoleons, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 1 phyllo sheet on parchment paper, and lightly brush with butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons hazelnuts. Repeat layers twice.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the phyllo into 24 (3 x 2 1/2-inch) rectangles. Cover phyllo with parchment paper. Coat bottom of another baking sheet with cooking spray; place, coated side down, on top of phyllo.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until golden. Carefully remove top baking sheet and parchment paper; cool phyllo rectangles on bottom baking sheet on a wire rack.
- Place 1 phyllo rectangle on each of 8 dessert plates. Top each rectangle with 1 1/2 tablespoons compote and about 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese. Repeat layers with remaining phyllo rectangles, compote, and cheese, ending with phyllo rectangles. Drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon caramel syrup. Serve immediately.
- Note: Use a pizza cutter to slice through the sheets of phyllo dough without ripping and tearing. Covering the rectangles, compote, and cheese, ending with phyllo rectangles. Drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon caramel syrup. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crispy Phyllo Napoleons with Berkshire Blue Cheese, Nectarines, and Pears Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This