I have been making hush puppies for forty years and really love these. They are light and delicious!! It will become a staple at our seafood dinners.
Crispy Hush Puppies
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
Fry: 4 Minutes
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk Ranch dressing
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Vegetable oil
- 1. Stir together flour and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 2. Stir together egg and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in flour mixture just until moistened. (Batter will be thick.) Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 3. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360º. Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls, in batches, into hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until hush puppies are golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels; keep warm in a 250° oven.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads