I have been making hush puppies for forty years and really love these. They are light and delicious!! It will become a staple at our seafood dinners.
Crispy Hush Puppies
Clay suggests using a melon baller dipped in hot water for shaping the hush puppies. Be careful to shake off excess water so it won't drip into the grease and splatter.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
Fry: 4 Minutes
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk Ranch dressing
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Vegetable oil
- 1. Stir together flour and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 2. Stir together egg and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in flour mixture just until moistened. (Batter will be thick.) Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 3. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360º. Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls, in batches, into hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until hush puppies are golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels; keep warm in a 250° oven.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note