Not sure if I didn't cook them very well or if its just a bunk recipe but they came out soft and falling apart. Not very much tastey crunchy coating either. I was left with soggy onions and their "coat" falling off.
Crispy "Fried" Onion Rings
Photo: Van Chaplin; Styling: Rose Nguyen
Yield: Makes 3 servings (serving size: 4 onion rings)
More From Southern Living
Bake: 6 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 119
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 13.6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 345mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1. Cut onion into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and separate into rings. Select largest 12 rings, reserving remaining onion slices for another use.
- 2. Whisk together buttermilk and egg white in a small bowl until blended.
- 3. Dredge onion rings in flour; dip into buttermilk mixture, coating well. Dredge again in flour, and place on a baking sheet.
- 4. Heat 2 tsp. oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt pan to coat bottom of skillet. Add 4 onion rings to skillet, and cook 1 minute on each side or until golden. Wipe skillet clean. Repeat procedure twice with remaining onion rings and oil. Place fried onion rings on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 3 minutes. Turn onion rings, and bake 3 more minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately.
- Beer-battered "Fried" Onion Rings: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 1. Reduce buttermilk to 1/4 cup, and whisk together with 1/4 cup light beer and 1 egg white. Proceed with Steps 3, 4, and 5 as directed.
- Per serving (4 onion rings): Calories 118 (0% from fat); Fat 5.8g (sat 0.8g, mono 4.1g, poly 0.7g); Protein 3g; Carb 13.5g; Fiber 1g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.6mg; Sodium 340mg; Calc 19mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note