1. Cut onion into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and separate into rings. Select largest 12 rings, reserving remaining onion slices for another use.
2. Whisk together buttermilk and egg white in a small bowl until blended.
3. Dredge onion rings in flour; dip into buttermilk mixture, coating well. Dredge again in flour, and place on a baking sheet.
4. Heat 2 tsp. oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt pan to coat bottom of skillet. Add 4 onion rings to skillet, and cook 1 minute on each side or until golden. Wipe skillet clean. Repeat procedure twice with remaining onion rings and oil. Place fried onion rings on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 400° for 3 minutes. Turn onion rings, and bake 3 more minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately.
Beer-battered "Fried" Onion Rings: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 1. Reduce buttermilk to 1/4 cup, and whisk together with 1/4 cup light beer and 1 egg white. Proceed with Steps 3, 4, and 5 as directed.
Per serving (4 onion rings): Calories 118 (0% from fat); Fat 5.8g (sat 0.8g, mono 4.1g, poly 0.7g); Protein 3g; Carb 13.5g; Fiber 1g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.6mg; Sodium 340mg; Calc 19mg.