Pros: This recipe was simple and fun to make! Warning: It turned out pretty garlicky so if that's not what you want you should try to use less. Cons: It didn't really taste like a falafel, and it's a little heavy. ALSO for some reason the yogurt dip turned out inedibly salty. I would put a little salt at a time and taste it. It was also a little runny so I would recommend using greek plain yogurt which has a thicker consistancy.
Crispy Falafel with Yogurt Dip
Photo: Anna Williams
More From Real Simple
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a food processor or blender, process the chickpeas, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of water until almost smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and add the shallot, cumin, red pepper flakes, 2/3 of the garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs and mix well. Roll into 16 balls (about 2 inches in diameter) and flatten slightly to form patties.
Place the remaining bread crumbs in a bowl or dish. Dip the falafel patties in the whisked eggs, then roll in the bread crumbs, coating evenly.
Prepare dip: In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt and pepper with the remaining garlic, salt, and parsley. Mix well. Cover and set aside.
Heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place 8 of the chickpea patties in the pan and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Add the remaining oil, if necessary, and cook the remaining patties. Drain. Serve with the yogurt dip.
If You Don't Have... store-bought bread crumbs, make fresh ones in a food processor. One slice of bread yields about 1/2 cup crumbs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This