Crispy Eggplant With Tomatoes and Mozzarella
Use smaller eggplants, which are less bitter. Look for eggplants with a small, round dimple versus the deep, long groove in the bottom.
More From Southern Living
Total: 36 Minutes
- 3 large eggs
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1 lb.)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) rounds
- 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, torn
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1. Whisk together eggs and 1 Tbsp. water until blended.
- 2. Cut tomatoes into 16 (1/8-inch-thick) slices. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels.
- 3. Dredge eggplant in 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in remaining 1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips.
- 4. Cook eggplant, in batches, in hot oil in a 10-inch (3-inch-deep) skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Cut cheese rounds in half. Arrange eggplant, cheese, and tomatoes on a serving platter; sprinkle with basil, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note