Crispy Eggplant With Tomatoes and Mozzarella
More From Southern Living
Total: 36 Minutes
- 3 large eggs
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1 lb.)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) rounds
- 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, torn
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1. Whisk together eggs and 1 Tbsp. water until blended.
- 2. Cut tomatoes into 16 (1/8-inch-thick) slices. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels.
- 3. Dredge eggplant in 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in remaining 1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips.
- 4. Cook eggplant, in batches, in hot oil in a 10-inch (3-inch-deep) skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Cut cheese rounds in half. Arrange eggplant, cheese, and tomatoes on a serving platter; sprinkle with basil, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables