- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 large eggplants, cut into 20 (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- Vegetable oil
- Parchment paper
- 10 provolone cheese slices
- 10 tomato slices
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Stir together first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk together eggs and cold water in a second bowl. Stir together panko and next 4 ingredients in a third bowl.
Dredge each eggplant slice in flour mixture; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in panko mixture.
Pour oil to a depth of 3/4 inch in a large skillet. Fry eggplant slices, in 2 batches, in hot oil over medium-high heat 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan.
Place 10 eggplant slices in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; top each with 1 provolone slice.
Bake at 400° for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top each with 1 tomato slice and 1 basil leaf. Add desired amount of salt and pepper, and top with remaining eggplant slices.