The dressing for the salad was WAY too spicy! If I make this again, I will use 1/2 or a 1/4 of the red pepper that is called for. The shrimp seasoning was outstanding and I will definitely use that again. The chick peas popped a lot in the oil, even after 1 hour of "drying" time. I probably won't make the salad again, but I will make the shrimp.
Crispy Chickpea Salad with Grilled Prawns
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
Too cold to grill? Broil the shrimp skewers, or cook them on the stovetop in a grill pan.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 262
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Carbohydrate: 21.6g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 628mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 18 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 3/4 pound)
- 6 cups canola oil
- 3 cups rinsed and drained canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups fresh baby arugula
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, torn
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup (1/4-inch) diagonally cut green onions
- 1. Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon rind, 1 tablespoon juice, parsley, 1 teaspoon red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and garlic in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss well. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Clip a candy/fry thermometer onto the side of a Dutch oven. Add canola oil to pan; heat oil to 385°.
- 3. Dry chickpeas thoroughly in a single layer on paper towels. Place 1 1/2 cups chickpeas in hot oil; fry 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Make sure oil temperature remains at 375°. Remove peas from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Keep warm. Return oil to 385°. Repeat procedure with remaining chickpeas.
- 4. Remove shrimp from marinade; discard marinade. Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 6 (5-inch) skewers.
- 5. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 6. Place shrimp on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill shrimp 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done.
- 7. Combine remaining olive oil, rind, juice, red pepper, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add chickpeas, arugula, spinach, and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine. Place 1 1/4 cups chickpea mixture in each of 6 shallow bowls. Top each serving with 3 grilled shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This