- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 18 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 3/4 pound)
- 6 cups canola oil
- 3 cups rinsed and drained canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups fresh baby arugula
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, torn
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup (1/4-inch) diagonally cut green onions
- calories 262
- fat 15.8 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- monofat 9.6 g
- polyfat 2.5 g
- protein 10.2 g
- carbohydrate 21.6 g
- fiber 5.7 g
- cholesterol 32 mg
- iron 2.6 mg
- sodium 628 mg
- calcium 80 mg
How to Make It
Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon rind, 1 tablespoon juice, parsley, 1 teaspoon red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and garlic in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss well. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Clip a candy/fry thermometer onto the side of a Dutch oven. Add canola oil to pan; heat oil to 385°.
Dry chickpeas thoroughly in a single layer on paper towels. Place 1 1/2 cups chickpeas in hot oil; fry 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Make sure oil temperature remains at 375°. Remove peas from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Keep warm. Return oil to 385°. Repeat procedure with remaining chickpeas.
Remove shrimp from marinade; discard marinade. Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 6 (5-inch) skewers.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Place shrimp on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill shrimp 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done.
Combine remaining olive oil, rind, juice, red pepper, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add chickpeas, arugula, spinach, and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine. Place 1 1/4 cups chickpea mixture in each of 6 shallow bowls. Top each serving with 3 grilled shrimp.